Saturday, July 16, 2011

Yesterday's Post

So, I woke up this morning with the thought that I could have hurt peoples' feelings with yesterday's post. That was certainly not my intent. I have relatives and friends with tattoos and I do not look down on them in the slightest. If my nephews/cousins/friends' sons wear their caps sideways, I do not think they are bad for doing so. The matters I referred to yesterday were superficial and do not necessarily affect or reflect deeper heart issues.

When I see a teenager with pants hanging down to his knees and tattoos covering his arms. I do not think, "I'm so much better than he is." I think, "Why would he want to have his pants down like that? Doesn't he know it looks silly?" And sometimes I sing in my head, "Pants on the Ground, Pants on the Ground, Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground." When I see a man in his thirties dressed that way, I do wonder, however, if he has grown up.

I want my kids to dress like my husband. Except maybe for the shorts with the long white socks sticking out of cowboys boots. I just LOVE that look, don't you? I want my kids to dress up for church because they respect God. I want my boys to wear a shirt in the summer, even if their friends go shirtless, out of respect for girls. I want my daughter to dress modestly. I do not want them to feel they have to dress drastically for attention or to rebel.

And in pointing out various looks that I DON'T want for my kids, I do not ever want my kids to think they are better than anyone that I am pointing out. Or that God would ever love them more because of the way they dress or even how they act. I shall be posting on legalism within the next week.

I hope that cleared things up a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment